The TAROT 2013 testing summer school will be held at the SIAF, the Learning Village in Tuscany.
The SIAF is located in the beatiful Volterra, an historical hilltop town with about 10,000 inhabitants, founded by the Etruscans in the heart of Tuscany three thousand years ago, rises 550 metres above sea level and affords a spectacular panoramic view of the Cecina valley and the Era valley. A haven of Etruscan, Roman, Medieval and Renaissance art and architecture, Volterra is famous throughout the world for its age-old tradition of alabaster carving.
The campus facilities
The executive campus offers brand-new accommodation for 130 guests providing 93 well-appointed bedrooms, 55 single rooms and 37 double rooms all with satellite TV, telephone, internet (wireless or ADSL) and air conditioning. The complex includes 7 multifunctional lecture rooms which can be partitioned and personalized as required, a staff room, 2 spacious meeting halls, a recording room and cloakroom.
How to Reach the SIAF
(updated on September 27 2012. More details to come.)
There are different options to reach the SIAF center in Volterra:
1. Option1 (the easy):
- ♦ we are organizing three dedicated bus from the Pisa airport to the SIAF center in Volterra;
- ♦ they will run from the Pisa Airport train station on July 08th. If you wish to use this service, please fill in the registration form appropriately.
2. Option 2 (the traditional):
- ♦ if you arrive to the Florence airport, the more convenient path is to reach Pisa Centrale. You may take an airport bus shuttle from the Florence airport to the Florence S.M.N. train station, and then to Pisa. Or, you can take a Terravision bus from the Florence airport directly to the Pisa airport;
- ♦ if you arrive to the Pisa airport (or when you reached this destination), you can take a train that brings you from Pisa Centrale or Pisa Airport to Volterra-Saline-Pomarance (see http://www.trenitalia.com for a complete time schedule). The journey takes from 1 hour to about 1.5 hours;
- ♦ exit at the last train stop. The place is called “Saline di Volterra”;
- ♦ exit the train station. There will be a bus bringing you to “Volterra” (the cost is 2.50 euros);
- ♦ if you select this option, be sure to make it clear on the registration form, so that we can arrange a way to bring you from Volterra to the SIAF .
3. Option 3 (the relaxed):
- ♦ you may book a personal van from Pisa or Florence to the SIAF center in Volterra. It will cost around 120 euros for up to 4 people. You may book this option directly through the registration form.
For other information on how to reach the center, please refer to this page.
How to Reach Lugano from Volterra
For those of you going to the ISSTA conference, there are (at least) three options to reach Lugano:
- Trenitalia train, from Florence to Lugano (passing through Milan);
- Rail Europe train, from Florence to Lugano (passing through Milan);
- SBB train, from Florence to Lugano (passing through Milan).
For your relax
For your leisure, the SIAF includes an open air swimming pool, a tennis court/sports ground and a gym. The campus also provides a spacious parking lot for more than 100 cars.
A photo gallery is available here.
More info about the SIAF
For more information about the SIAF, please refer to this page.